Re: Morgan decambering

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Morgan decambering
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:38:50 -0700
There should be no welds on the lower or upper tubes of the "frame front" as
Morgan call it.  The tube are brazed to the stamped, sheet metal portion of
the frame front  that is actually bolted to the front of the chassis.  Any
welding would indicate some previous repair work that has taken place.
Normally older Morgans tned to have different camber angles from side to
side on the order of about 1/2 degree due to manufacturing tolerances before
around 1985.  2 degrees also would indicate to me that there had been some
poorly completed repair work, probably of accident damage, some time in the
past.  For the best cornering and street performance we recomend 0 camber.
The steering may be slighty heavier, but the car will "turn in" much better,
esspecially in low speed corners.
    We also recomend reinforcing the lower tube of the "frame front" by
installing another tube inside of the tube that is there now.  We use a 1/8
inch wall, DOM mild steel tube, drive it in, after making sure that the
lower tube is straight, and braze it in place through a 1/4 inch hole we
have drilled in the center of the lower tube.

Regards,  Greg Solow