Re: Cracked, a tale of woe

To: <Dave.Vodden@uk.ecitele.com>, <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cracked, a tale of woe
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:11:54 -0700
TR powered +4s have had a proclivity for cracking just forward of the
firewall on the right hand side.  The crack always begins at the bottom
flange and works its way up.  My '64 Plus 4 developed a crack like this at
around 45,000 miles when it was 5 years old.  We made a gusset reinforcement
similar to that installed by the factory on the early +8s, but with an
extension to follow along the bottom flange just forward of the chassis hole
for the exhaust.  The reinforcement was welded on along both sides of the
lower flange for its full length, and to the forward edge of the crossmember
at the base of the firewall.  We have had no problems since.  The car now
has over 110,000 miles on it and over 60 race weekends of all out racing.
    My regards to Tony Howard.  He and Edgar Wallace  came to Santa Cruz to
visit sometime in the early 80s, I can't remember the exact year, and we had
a great time together.
    This year there is going to be a good contingent of Morgans racing at
the Monterey Historics on the weekend of August 27 thru 29.  Bill Fink will
be racing his SLR,  Brain Howlet his 59 Plus 4,  Adrian Van der Kroft will,
I think, have his SLR running, Richard Freshman will be racing the ex Lew
Spencer  Super Sport "Baby Doll IV," Jim Belardi his 53 flat rad, Peter
Schmidt his Pebble Beach award winning '38 Series I 4/4 , and I will be
racing my '64 Plus 4.  Most of us are racing on Sunday afternoon.  This is
most unfortunate as it conflicts with the "Pebble Beach Concours de
Elegance" where Morgans are featured for the first time with a special class
in honor of the 90'th anniversary of the Marque.  All of us racers who have
been proudly waving the Morgan flag of many years here in the States finally
have the opportunity to race in front of Peter Morgan and we now hear that
he is to be held captive, in a matter of speaking, at Pebble All Day.  So we
won't get the honor of performing for him even though he is only 7 miles
away!  What a shame!  What a disappointment!
    But we will still be there racing as hard as we can, so all of the rest
of you Morganeers are invited to come and cheer us on.
    It is possible to go to Pebble Beach early in the morning and then come
to the races in the afternoon.
    Hope to see a lot of you there.  Bill Fink, Denis Glavis , Morgan Spares
and myself have financed a Morgan Display Tent in the infield, so come by
and say hello there or in the paddock.  The paddock, by the way is open to
everyone at the Historic Races.

Regards, Greg Solow