brake pedal travel - repost

To: "morgan" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake pedal travel - repost
From: "Hal Skurnick" <hals@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 06:29:55 -0400
somehow my original posting got truncated - have changed to plain text on my
mail program and hope this goes through: -

just getting my 4/4 back on the road and finding that the brake pedal
has virtually zero travel - feels like your stomping on a solid steel
rod. i have bled the rear cylinders and when the bleed screw is open the
pedal does travel down to the floor and feels relatively smooth.
when the bleed screw is closed the pedal feels as though it is welded
shut - virtually no movement. I have looked at the pedal adjusting screw
(mechanical linkage) to the main cylinder piston and it seems to be at
the maximum out adjustment point. also have checked the brake adjuster on
each drum brake and found the point of contact and then backed them off just
a bit to have the wheels rotate. i don't recall this being the feel of the
brake pedal - almost wish i had a bit of air?? to make the pedal feel a bit
spongey - but don't think this would be safe.any thoughts would be
appreciated..