1987 4/4 Brake Problem Update

To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>, "Roy" <Morgans@cantab-motors.com>
Subject: 1987 4/4 Brake Problem Update
From: "Ross Jones" <rossjones@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:39:14 -0400
This afternoon I installed the new brake lines. Bent them as close as
possible to the original (bought a bending tool, and thought I did a pretty
good job). Ended up with an extra four inches, which I looped above the
axle. After putting everything back together (I busted a bolt on the left
rear drum) I took the car for a drive.

Fuck - it is still leaking as always from the left rear wheel, at the same
place I noted in the previous picture. Not pouring as much, but definitely
gushing.

At least the car is drivable, but at the rate the fluid is pouring out, I
can only go about 20 miles before topping it off.

Guess this means the brake line was not the problem, but rather the wheel
cylinder.

Got a tip from Fred Sisson's book about newer Morgan's:

"The latest Morgan's have their rear brake lines routed in an interesting
way. The old way was to run the brake cylinders to a "T" on the axle. Now
the factory runs the lines from the master cylinder to the right rear wheel
cylinder. There is no bleed valve on the right wheel cylinder. Instead,
there is a line out of the port that would usually hold the bleed valve
(that) goes on to the left cylinder. The left cylinder does have the bleed
valve".

This is exactly how my car is equipped. I bled the brakes (from the left
rear wheel first), got a little action, and took it on the road. But still
the leak continues from the connection at the left rear wheel cylinder.
Guess I need a new left rear wheel cylinder, or maybe both. I could go for a
kit, but my idea is to just order the whole left, and see if that works. If
not, I can order the right later. Maybe I did a poor job of bending the
lines, but it was damn close, and don't thing that would mean anything. A
kit sounds like just another waste of time, so might as well buy the whole
thing. Do you think I should get both? Can I get the original Morgan brake
line without having to bend it myself (again)? That was a real pain for a
$5. pipe.

Thanks again for your assistance. I will call you tomorrow. If it is
cheaper, I will drive down and pick the parts up rather than paying for
shipping.