Check yer bolts

To: "Morgans@Autox.Team.Net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Check yer bolts
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <ebrown@ms.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:32:48 -0400
Just a warning shot to all the list. I put my road tires, windshield and
side curtains on my '57 Plus Four and took Yvonne (Mrs. B.) to the
Metro-North Harmon Rail Yard Open house,  to gape at the trains,
turntables, very big machine tools, etc. What can I say? I like trains
as much as I like cars.  Went over on the back roads.

As we were burbling along at boulevardier speeds, I heard something hit
the bottom of the car. Sounded like a rock kicked up by the tires.
Grinned at milady and said, not to worry, just some rotten bit falling
off! and since things seemed fine, continued on our way.

Coming home, same lovely autumn leaf route, another 'rock' hit the
plywood bottom of the car, and I grinned reassuringly again and since
all seemed well, didn't stop to look for fallen bits.

About two miles from home I started to smell burning oil, and we were
definitely leaving a smoke screen of sorts behind us. Grinned again (she
is always nervous riding in this car) and continued on home.

Put car up on ramps. Oil running down the right frame rail. Cooking on
my nice new header, a nice spray of oil on the lower inside of the
bonnet.

After much searching I found the culprit: there are three bolts in the
right hand side of the block that hold the generator bracket on.  Two of
the three were gone. (Those 'rocks' that I heard hitting the bottom of
the car.)  Since these are drilled clean into the crankcase, blow by
was coming out in force.

To inspect these guys, you have to get under the car with a light. Now,
because I haven't been as assiduous about looking for loose stuff as I
should be, I'll pay the price for it. Shouldn't keep me from Lime Rock
this weekend, but means I'll  be watching the playoffs for the ALCS and
NLCS on the radio from the garage.

Good thing the car made it home. I'd be listening from the doghouse.

Thought some of you slackers could use the reminder to check for loose
hardware. As I've always known, grinning will only take you so far.

Cheers.

Chip Brown