Re: Industrial tribunal report

To: Ray Westwood <rwestwood@priory.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Industrial tribunal report
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 22:24:32 +0100
Ray Westwood <rwestwood@priory.demon.co.uk> writes
>The report of the industrial tribunal makes very uncomfortable reading; I
>suppose that we have to assume that it is genuine? I have never seen one
>before and am surprised at some of the phrasing and bluntness.

It's genuine and reads as one would expect from Mr Goodchild, the
Tribunal Chair. Mr C J Goodchild, is considered by the local unions to
be a hard bastard and is held in high esteem by Unison, the local Law
Centres and the Chamber of Commerce.

I was faxed a copy in the first instance and I have seen the file entry
in the Tribunal records. You may apply for a certified copy if you write
to the relevant office. These would normally read as a narrative of
events. I have seen probably 10-12 in ten years and this one is only
unusual in that there is not an explanation in mitigation for the
employer. The Tribunal panel apparently see this as clear cut.

>However, it does not convey an image of the kind of club with which, I
>suspect, many Morgan owners would wish to be associated. To me, equally as
>disturbing as the unfair and apparently heartless treatment of one
>individual is the way in which the pages of Miscellany totally fail to
>acknowledge that the issue exists at all. If the magazine is not able to
>give expression to the views of the club's members, then what is the point
>in having a magazine at all? What is the point in having a club at all?

This is the issue that I find myself considering. I would be sorry to
leave the club as I have met a lot of people and enjoyed some really
good times, but the contempt that the Directors have shown to an
employee and to the membership by not communicating leaves a very nasty
taste.

For the moment I will remain in the club, but if I do not see changes
for the better, before, during or shortly after the AGM, I will resign
from the club, spreading the word as widely as possible.

>I am very grateful to Jeremy Edwards and to ManxMog for putting these
>matters into the public domain. Is there a next step?

Go to the AGM at the Abbey Hotel, Malvern on February 19th, take as many
proxy votes as you can from members who cannot go and help challenge the
existing Directors.

There is a motion, for which I have seen no debate to reduce the
Directors to 9, which should come up. As this balls up happened when the
actions of the Executive were scrutinised by 30, I shudder to think what
could happen with only 9.

--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str