RE: Rollbars

To: "'Phil Roettjer'" <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Subject: RE: Rollbars
From: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:52:27 -0500
Phil - I see you're starting to get serious about this.  Just talking about
rollbars is starting to get me excited about next year's "season".  I can't
recommend any specific US manufacturer but seek out your "local" racers and see
if they can suggest a competent local guy. (Linda Eckler at Morgan Spares might
be able to help)   Join the SVRA, they have a separate page/sheet on rollbars
with specs, tubing sizes, welding techniques, etc.  There are a number of UK
suppliers listed in MISCELLANY but I don't know the shipping charges,
construction materials, or how much "fiddling" you'd have to do to mount it in
your car.  Pay special attention to the SVRA specs for mounting plates and
backup plates/support.  If you remember my rollbar from Lime Rock, I have the
normal full-width hoop, supports from the main hoop back to the wheel arches, a
removable diagonal from behind my head to one of those supports, and a
removable section from the main hoop down across the passenger seat (at an
angle) tied into the front crossmember under the firewall.  Sounds complex but
it really it quite simple.  AND although I think I'm "covered from all ends" it
still all looks very vintage.  IF part of the rollbar is to be removable, make
sure you do not just drill a hole through the tubing and run a grade 8 bolt
through it to hold things together.  You must "overdrill" the hole slightly,
and weld a sleeve inside, so you can't collapse the tube when you tighten up
the bolt.  Lastly . . . . . I don't think you're going to be able to mount a
rollbar AND be able to erect the hood.  Rollbar must be 2" above your
(helmeted) head.  You could sit on the floor I guess.  Or Michael Mulroney
actually took an old hood and fabricated a "pocket" across it which the rollbar
fits into when erected.  Besides, Morgan people shouldn't be using their hoods
anyway!  If you want more info, get back to me privately with your mailing
address and I will go out , take a few pix, and send them up to you.

Cheers,    Craig Seibert      1968 +8  #611