Re: Rollbars

To: Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rollbars
From: DGreimel@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:24:36 EST
Phil.
If you car has bucket seats you can mount the main hoop on top of the frame
rails alongside the seats.  If you have bench seats you can mount it on top
of the shock absorbers as I have done..  I welded plates across the tops of
the shocks and bolted the main hoop to them,  then ran braces down to the
frame behind the rear axle, then mounted a removeable bar from the center of
the main hoop to the cross member at the base of the firewall.  It is still
possible to put a passenger in the car with no difficulty.  I do not have a
hood on my car but fitted the frame temporarily and believe that it could be
erected with the roll bar in place.  Inorder to satisfy most clubs
requirements you need to use 1 1/2 " DOM (drawn over mandrel) steel tubes.
This is available from the Dillsburg Aeroplane Works in Dillsburg Pa.  I can
find the phone # if you need it.  I am fortunate in having a friend with a
tubing bender and having welding equipment in my shop so I can`t tell you
where to have yours made.  I do know that Bill Sheely has made a number of
them and he has an email address.
Cheers
Don