Re: rubber pad between brace and fender

To: "David" <pdburket@intrepid.net>, "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rubber pad between brace and fender
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 15:45:55 -0800
Morgan originally used a piece of the hard rubber floor matting material to
space the fender up off of the fender brace.  This mnaterial is about 1/8 of
an inch thick.  We have found that most cracking of steel fenders is caused
by the nut under the wing lamp comming loose and the fender pounding on the
brace.  with fiberglass, I believe that you need to spread the load over as
large an area as possible , use as little filler as possible in the fender,
and attach the fender firmly but gently.  I think that a piece of soft,
thick ruber under the fender would not be good as it would allow the fender
to hammar up and down between the wing lamp rubber and the brace underneath.
I would epoxy a large steel washer (2 or 3 inch diameter ) to the underside
of the fender, then use one layer of rubber floor matting.  It is also
important that the fender "just sit" on the support bracket and not be
pulled down to it by the wing lamp mounting or the carriage bolts in the
case of a flat rad car.

Regards, Greg Solow