Brake cleaning

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake cleaning
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:36:04 -0600
As most others, I would not reccomend applying your brakes until the
disks glow as a method for cleaning the brake pads.  However, the
concept of heating your pads to drive out oil is not a new one.

My first car (that ran, anyway) was a 1957 Alfa.  For some reason,
parts were a bit hard to find in northern Minnesota.  Whan miss Alfa
blew a rear axle seal, we went ot the local National Bushing and bought
a one.  The brake shoes were oil soaked so my grandfather heated them
with an acetylene torch.  You could actualy see the oil coming out of
the friction material.  I don't remember the car having any abmormal
braking characteristics afterwards but then again it was a rear brake
and my standards were a little lower back then.

Would I do this today?  Probably not since I don't rely on obsolete
cars for daily transportion so having an old car laid up for a week
isn't a big deal.  I have no clue how this technique would work on newer
non-asbestos linings either.  Plus my teenage belief in my own
immortality has faded a bit now that middle age has found me.  On the
other hand, if I was on a road trip and it was either clean a brake pad
or take a bus, I might give it a shot.

Usual disclaimers apply only more so.  My opinion only, I have no clue
if it works today and am almost certain that the result would be less
safe than new part.  Brakes are important so please be careful.

Regards,
Bill Eastman