Re: [xk] Combination gauge work

To: xk@jag-lovers.org
Subject: Re: [xk] Combination gauge work
From: Jim Walters <bristol@coastnet.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:31:13 -0700 (MST)
Bill, you need Freon II, not ether. You will have to experiment with the
amount in the bulb but start with 1.5cc's, that will be quite close. Freon
II boils at 75 degrees fahrenheit, this provides the correct correlation
between temperature and pressure. Keep the freon in your deep freeze and put
the guage, capillary tube and bulb in the freezer, if you have a top loading
freezer this is best so that you can reach down inside and do the filling
while the whole assembly is kept cold. After you have soldered the guage,
tube and bulb together drill a small hole in the end of the bulb and solder
in a quarter inch piece of the tube. Put the assembly and the syringe in the
freezer now and let it cool for a while, the freon should already be in
there, using a syringe fill the bulb through the small piece of tube you
soldered in the end then crimp it flat close to the bulb. Now quickly solder
over the end of the tube near the crimp, if you can do this while most of
the guage is still in the freezer so much the better, while in the freezer
there will be no expansion of the freon and therefore no leakage. I've done
a few of these type of guages on old Packards and Jags, the amount of freon
to use depends on the size if the bulb and length of tube, I think I used
pretty close to 1.5 cc's on the last Jag one I did. Jim.