Re: cotter key for rear axel

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cotter key for rear axel
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:13:30 -0600
Dave,

When you talk about the threads being "handed," are you talking about
wire wheel hubs?  I don't think that the axle to hub nuts and matching
threads are handed- at least none of my LBC's are.  In any case it
probably isn't a big deal.

For cottered nuts the standard practice is to tighten the nut to the
specified torque setting then tighten further until the cotter can be
placed.  The exception to this rule is front wheel bearings on some cars
where you tighten then back of a specified amount.  I am with you that
drilling another hole should be avoided.

Good Luck,
Bill