Re: cotter key for rear axel

To: David & Pat <pdburket@intrepid.net>,
Subject: Re: cotter key for rear axel
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 99 21:14:15 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

David;
         I'm assuming your talking about the nut which goes on the    axle
shaft to hold the hub in place.
1)  If the hub is not seated to the shaft properly the hole for the  cotter
pin would not line up with the  slot on the nut . The key could be doing
this if not  seated properly.
2)  There is a slotted nut which  looks like a regular nut with slots cut in
the top and a Castle nut which has the slots on a stepped flange on the top
of the nut.  You may have a castle nut where you need a slotted nut  (
slotted nuts are generally shorter than castle nuts .)
Bob Nogueira   " speaking of nuts......................'"