Re: 6V/12Vbattery

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 6V/12Vbattery
From: "George Dow" <gdow@pylon8.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:44:21 +0100
Hi Folks
              I am new to the list and have been reading your input for a
while with interest. I am a subscriber to the MSCC " discussion group". I am
typing in answer to Bob`s Query, 6V/12v battery.  I have no experience of
your vehicles electric's Bob and would offer my thoughts at this stage as  I
have seen no reply to your question from others?  I would be inclined to
stick with your original set-up. The change to 12V is likely to give
problems with charging, most charging systems operate by utilising "voltage"
sensing devices and therefore you will be unlikely to put anything back into
your 12v battery from a 6v charging system until the voltage had dropped
below the required level for your new 12v kit (coil etc.) to operate! I am
guessing here that the reason for the consideration of 12v is down to
availability of a suitable replacement battery?  If your old battery is
indeed old and has a shellac sealed top then perhaps you could find a
battery recon shop who can rebuild it with new plates etc, perhaps cheaper
than buying a new one? I guess it is easier to plug in a 12v M/cycle battery
and change the lamps/ coil etc.. though the starter, if one is fitted will
be under more pressure in it`s operation. In the case of the coil and lamps
your change to 12v items is likely to mean that the mix of current
resistance and voltage (power) is matched to that of the original set-up,
though in the case of the starter.......As it is designed as a primarily 6v
unit with appropriately sized wiring and connections, switch etc. There is a
chance it will now see double the amount of power in its circuitry for any
given operation. Yes it will work, Yes the engine is likely to spin faster,
and perhaps start easier. In a fault condition..you have twice the amount of
power available to damage it further.  In a normal start it is likely to
"punch" in at twice it`s normal speed, and therefore there is likelihood
that the starter`s serviceable life may be reduced along with accelerated
wear in the ring gear, if one is fitted? I guess the bottom line is how much
you use it and how "original" you want to keep it.  MGB used two 6v
batteries connected in series to give 12v...They were carried under the rear
"seat" one either side of the diff.     Hope my rambling has been of some
help?

Cheers,    George.