6V/12Vbattery

To: morgans@autox.team.net, British-cars-pre-war@autox.team.net
Subject: 6V/12Vbattery
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 23:18:19 EDT
Well the great lump of a 6V battery in the F2 has finally given up the
electrons permanently.  Holds a charge for one start and that's it.  In
thinking of a replacement I'm considering looking at the compact motorcycle
batteries.  If I figure the AMP draw of the starter, that should indicate the
power needed in the battery, right? Then of course there is the power
requirements of the air conditioning, power windows and locks, audio system,
etc. etc. all incidental in a 36 F2.

I think all the small batteries of this sort are 12V, but I believe I read
somewhere that it was perfectly OK to operate a 6V starter with a 12V
battery.  I'm thinking it was Clarrie Coombs book on Three Wheelers.  If I
change the 8 light bulbs to 12V and the coil of course to a 12V, it seems I
might be home free with a much smaller battery to contend with?
Well then there's always the generator.  Think a 6V unit will freshen up a
12V battery sufficiently with light use?
Anyone have any thoughts about all this.  Anyone know of a modest sized 6V
battery?  Didn't the Healey or was it MG have two 6v to make 12V for awhile?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Bob Paul
36 Morgan F2