Re: Collector Car Insurance

To: "British Car List" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Collector Car Insurance
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:33:07 -0400
Interesting comments on the collector car insurance.

I thought I'd through my 2 cents in.

1. Some one mentioned Congon & Skelly (I think that's  Condon and Skelly).
   A friend on another list is/was insured with them.  He had a LOT of hassle
   when he put in a clam.  If anyone is interested in his sagga, email me
   off line and I'll send you some info on his problems.

2. I currently have the '48 TR1800, '65 Morgan, '71 Saab Sonett III, and the
   '77 Spit insured with JC Taylor.  So far I haven't had to file a claim so
   I don't know how helpful they'll be.

3. Check out the article on "Car Insurance" on my Morgan web page:

      www.team.net/www/morgan

I believe that someone posted

     http://www.buyclassiccars.com
earler to this list.  I checked out the site.  They have a nice insurance
art. at

http://www.buyclassiccars.com/insurancefaq.html

with a good list of classic car insurance companies.

I also ran an article about Hagerty in The Brickline (the quarterly
magazine of
Bricklin International).  If anyone is interested in a copy of that article,
contact me privately for a copy.

The following is a quote from their web page @
http://www.hagerty.com/policy.htm

Inparticular read and pay attention to their Flexible Usage statement.

---------
Hagerty's Policy

The following is a short summary of our policy with some of the features we
offer.
If you have specific questions about your individual policy (some features
may vary
depending on which state you're in) please call our Customer Service Center.

Agreed Value Coverage - This guarantees that you will receive every dime of
what you
insured your vehicle for in the event of a total loss. Many insurance
programs do not
provide this type of coverage; they may only pay "up to" a stated amount or
pay a
total loss based on a pro-rated payment or current market value. Only
Agreed Value
guarantees that you get back what you have it insured for.

Single Liability - You pay only one liability charge per collection whether
you own
2 classics or 200. Why the "all-you-can-eat" approach? The last time we
checked, you
can only drive one at a time. Single liability is available in most states.

No Deductible - plain and simple. No deductible means you won't pay
anything out of
your pocket if you have a claim. No deductible is available in most states.

In-House Claims - We administrate 95% of our claims from our home office in
Traverse
City. You get personal and direct customer service from the same people who
were
involved with your policy from the beginning.

Flexible Usage - We know and love classics too. We'd like you to be able to
enjoy
yours. So as long as you have a "daily driver" for regular transportation,
Hagerty
is flexible with your vehicle's mileage and usage. We refuse to limit you
to driving
in a parade or a show and we do not require you to be "in attendance" of
your vehicle
for it to be covered. So go ahead and take a Tuesday-night drive just for
kicks.

Repair Shop of Choice - We realize collectors and hobbyists often have
shops they
trust. Rather than telling you that we know more about your classic than
you (which,
of course, we don't) we will work with the shop of your choice. No multiple
estimates, no second-rate jobs, no hassles.

Customer Service - Most collectors do business on the weekends rather than
during
the week... it's when all of the shows and auctions take place! So why
shouldn't
your insurer be available for you too? We're open 7 days a week so you
don't have
to put your hobby on hold..
------------

I'm planning on moving my cars from JC Taylor to Hagerty if for no other
reason
that that statment.  I hate having to dream up a lie if something were to
happen
when I was out in the Spit on a nice weekday evening.

I've started a couple of threads about car insurance in the past.  Trying
to warn
of problems with insurance companies - especially the verbage - Actual Cash
value.
I've spent countless hours on the phone trying to get someone to cover one
of my
older cars - inparticularly my Bricklin as a daily driver with Agreed Value
Coverage
policy.  While I haven't had much luck, this is the closest I've come.

Hagerty is by far the most customer friendly in their coverage, and I
really think
that we (car hobbiest) should vote with our dollars.  And if and when you
change
from what ever insurance company you have, to Hagerty, please tell the
insurance co.
that you are leaving why, and tell Hagerty why you came to them.

John

Editor/Publisher The Brickline
Quarterly Magazine of Bricklin International

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire   71 Saab Sonett III

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org