Spring Sprints, a two thirds view

To: Morgans@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Spring Sprints, a two thirds view
From: Jhalfdime@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:58:00 EDT
Cheers all,
    VSCCA's Spring Sprints at Lime Rock Park were held this past weekend in
spite of some of the best weather we can recall for the  event.  Though there
was a threat of showers Saturday, they never materialized and all races were
run ( We believe) in full.
    Unfortunately, we missed Friday's sessions and school, but according to
the entry list, the school was again successful.   Morning practice went off
without incident, though as always, a small number of cvars needed the hook
to return to the paddock.
    THe pre war class had all morning to prepare as practice was not until
after 11 am, so thingS did not seem quite so hectic!
    As a second year participant, I learned quickly that when the instructors
beat into our head, time after time, "Don't go off line...it's up to the
driver passing to find a safe place to pass," they have good reason!
    During the second pre-war session of the day, on the next to last lap, we
found ourselves in the left-hander with a bevy of faster cars behind being
led by Jerry Morici and his drop-dead gorgeous supercharged '35 MG/KN.  Not
wanting to hold them up, we tweeked the wheel a tad farther left and lo and
behold, "we was a motorcycle!!"  With thoughts of "&*#$@&%$#!!," "OH
&*#$@&%$&#!!!,"  and "if we go over, it's right in front of where we just
pointed Jerry and the gang by!" we got Murphy back on three wheels, delayed
the coronary, carefully completed the lap, and pulled in the pits/paddock as
a self imposed "stupidity penalty."
    After apologizing to Jerry (His comment was a gracious, "No need to, I
had the best seat in the house...I thought you did that all the time, the
move looked so well practiced!") we came to the realization that of all
places, the left-hander was the last place to take Murphy off line as she's a
tad lighter on the left due to RHD AND more importantly, to listen to what
you've been taught.  We are still trying to slow the heart rate down to
normal, but have learned a valuable lesson.
    Cheers & Happy Morganing,
        Jim Nichol
    '28 Morgan Aero
     "Green side up!"