Around the world or 44 hours on a boat!

To: "Aston List" <aml-lovers@egroups.com>
Subject: Around the world or 44 hours on a boat!
From: "John J. Black" <transmancat@bbnow.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:02:17 -0700
Hi Guys
Yes the boat ride across the Caspian sea is a 44 hour journey, Apparently
the water is only 3 fathoms deep, because the sea is rapidly drying up. The
drive down to the boat was over some of the worst road they have seen and
this claimed some suspension systems along the way. The ship also lost tan
engine on the trip but who cares about the ships problems ? !!!
The passport control at the end of the pleasure cruise turned out to be one
guy in a garden shed with some 200 people all needing his services at once
(sounds like fun!) The roads are poor and fuel is in short supply, the
compensation is that the fuel cost almost nothing (two cars filled for $5)
that's even better than Texas prices <grin> The 1939 Ford V8 broke a shocker
mounting off and  so did the Lagonda M45, this has slowed them both up a
great deal with the Lagonda losing an hour! They were both supported by the
Xk150S that decided to keep an eye on them to make sure they got to the end.
(This reminds me of a TV ad "you meet the nicest people in a Jaguar").
Remember the Fangio Chevy Coupe with the new gearbox? turns out that he
gearbox was not exactly new, and now slips out of gear. The leader Freddie
Giles took car e of his car on the way to the ferry and in doing so lost 2
mins! So did Dyke-Price and Stu onyett in the Team Healey car, they lost 18
mins bu the car picked up no damage in the process. It would seem that some
people are now starting to think 'long distance rally' and are trying to
keep the cars in one piece.

The Rolls Silver Ghost continues to roll along and take all in it's stride,
maybe the build quality is starting to show up now. The Bentley S2 now
requires new springs bu a local guy at the dock went away and came back with
some that should work from some old truck! Even closer to being "the fastest
lorries in the world" A term associated with the old Bentleys from the
Brooklands days I cannot remember who said that??)
The first car to pull into the hotel on the other side of the Caspian was
none other than our humble MGB. Well done boys.

The car are all now being repaired welded as required for the next
adventure! Some pictures are now available on http://www.waterloo-dtr/p569
Let me know what you think of them! I had no reports to write while they
were on the boat so I made a web page. Isn't technology wonderful!
Regards
John J Black
Waterloo Drivetrain Systems
http://www.waterloo-dtr.com