British Cars - Western Australia

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: British Cars - Western Australia
From: Terry Dowling <tdowling@gesb.wa.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:30:35 +0800
Just thought I'd add a bit about my first expedition to the British Cars
celebration in my part of the world - Perth.

One of the towns about 100 km (60 miles) north of Perth has an annual
fair to celebrate these fine marques. And, while it is nearly winter
here, the gods smiled upon us with a perfect day. Clear, blue skies and
a maximum of around 24C (75F).

I worked three nights last week taking the radiator out of my 4/4,
having it repaired and fitting it again. Bit of an ordeal trying to get
four layers to line up to put the coach bolts through, but success in
the end.

On Saturday night, while the picnic flan was cooking, I ducked out to
get some fuel. While at the gas station, some previous owners of the car
were passing and stopped to check whether it was their old car (they it
sold in 1987), and Ashley stopped on his way home with his family to
intorduce himself and tell me I'd be seeing him in his Morgan the
following day. Meanwhile, the flan was slowly overcooking - just a tad.

Sunday started for me around 7 a.m. with packing the car and heading
over to Mary's to pick her up. The temp was around 8C (47F) and she
didn't seem to be wearing enough. "Maybe they're extra warm, though
thin, layers she's got on" I thought, having heard about these new
hi-tech fabrics mountain climbers wear.

We headed off along the highways, keeping assiduously to the speed limit
as the police were out in force with their radar guns. I went through
two speed traps without incident. "Gee, it's cold." says Mary. Hmmm.

At the muster point I lent her my leather jacket. We gathered with the
other Morgan crews and decided to deviate a little from the direct route
to avoid the road works on the way. There were 7 Morgans on the run,
which is around 30% of the Morgan population in Perth. I know we made an
impressive sight as we travelled in convoy out of the city.

The drive through the countryside was most enjoyable and all too soon we
had arrived in Gingin. There were hundreds of cars there. MGs by the
dozen, Rollers, Bentleys, Minis, Land Rovers, Humbers, Hillmans,
Lotuses, Triumphs, Morrises.... What a spectacle it was. At the fair I
met Gordon, who imported the car when he migrated to Australia. What a
font of information he is! And a clever bloke, to boot. He'd
manufactured the windscreen brackets, and did wonders with the engine.

We picnicked and wandered around the displayed cars and felt privileged
to be heading home in a Morgan.

All up, a great day!!

Terry
'60 4/4

Standard disclaimer:
Any recipient of this communication acknowledges that:
* the Government Employees Superannuation Board accepts no responsibility for
the contents nor the validity of this communication; and
* they do not rely on any view given unless it is properly authorised.