RE: Louvers in the Bonnet

To: "'Lenn Nelsen'" <lnelsen@university-health-sys.com>
Subject: RE: Louvers in the Bonnet
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:22:13 -0400
Len,

Not just the +8, but also the 4/4 and the +4 (but, apparently not the new
Aero 8) have louvres.  I'm not an engineer (aerospace or otherwise) but I
suspect that, when the car is in forward motion, the louvres force the air
rushing over the bonnet away from the bonnet and create a partial vacuum to
help suck the air out.  The only other way for air to escape is through the
bottom of the engine compartment.  I agree, the louvres look cool but are
hard on the finger tips when polishing the car. But, "no pain, no gain."

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB
'52 +4 (complete with louvres)