weekend, gearheads, poor running

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: weekend, gearheads, poor running
From: Elton & Jane Wright <delicate@rev.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:33:45 -0400
Dear Morganeers,

I have recently been tying up the loose ends for the maiden voyage for our
newly refurbished '67 Plus Four Tourer.  Like our Northwest friend, I had
trouble with erratic running and trouble tuning the carbs.  It just seemed
like a lean run problem, but the jets were going farther and farther down
(richer) without much success.  It must be a vaccum leak.  Used the WD-40
around the manifold connections and carb connections without any luck which
left only one thing, the newly rebuilt "Smith's Valve."  The later TR
engines (and lots of other English cars) had a PCV valve manufactured by
Smith's, which is known for causing trouble.  After consulting an English
car mechanic that has been my friend for years, I was advised to "go back
to the old stuff" which meant the road draft tube and the vented valve
cover.  The end result is no lean running, and no oil dumped out of the
rear main due to crankcase pressure.  Perhaps someone else has a fix for
the problem that keeps a later car 100% original in appearance, but for me,
I want to drive.

Cheers,

Elton

Elton & Jane Wright
Roanoke, Virginia, USA          delicate@rev.net
1967 Morgan Plus Four Tourer    1954 Morris Minor
1973 Land Rover 109 Regular w/Pickup cab