Triumph oil pumps

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph oil pumps
From: Elton & Jane Wright <delicate@rev.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:02:34 -0400
Greetings all,

I have experienced a similar thing 13 years or so ago.  When I rebuilt my
TR engine for my Morgan, I used a new gear set from one of the US Triumph
suppliers. When traveling at speed down the highway, oil pressure would at
times go to zero followed by the expected rapping of the rods.  I could not
find any cause of the problem.  Oil level was up, no leaks were found, so
forth.  I finally removed the oil pump guts and could still find no
problem.  A friend in the British car business told me he had a Mini with
an aftermarket pump that the gear would slip on the shaft.  It was pressed,
not pinned.  I attempted to make the gear slip on the shaft but could not.
I even heated it with a gas torch to a temperature much higher than engine
temp, but it still would not fail.  In my efforts to attemp to make it
fail, I trashed the gear set.  I reinstalled the old (original) gears and
never had a problem after that.  I sold the car to a local chap who has put
more miles on the car without a problem.  Watch the aftermarket stuff.

Elton

Elton & Jane Wright
Roanoke, Virginia, USA          delicate@rev.net
1967 Morgan Plus Four Tourer    1954 Morris Minor
1973 Land Rover 109 Regular w/Pickup cab