RE: squeaks and squonks

To: "'BristolBul@aol.com'" <BristolBul@aol.com>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: squeaks and squonks
From: "Willburn, Gerry" <Gerry.Willburn@verticalcircuits.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:30:00 -0700
When you say you have greased the clutch pivot, I presume you mean the
pillow blocks that the clutch pedal pivots in (and also the brake pedal -
which pivots on the clutch shaft).

If the car has sat for some time, these could become so bound with petrified
grease and rust that mere greasing will not cure binding and disassembly and
cleaning is necessary.  This happened on our Plus 8 which had sat for some
time before we bought it.

The pedals and the release sleeve (grease fitting on top of the bell
housing) are really the only "sliding" parts of the clutch system outside of
the pressure plate itself.  Since you say the clutch "works" and the system
makes noise without the engine running, the pressure plate is not a high
probability item.

The release sleeve (or the housing) could be so worn that the sleeve is
trying to "cock" in its hole.

Those are about the only things to check.

Gerry