Chassis painting

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Chassis painting
From: Elton & Jane Wright <delicate@rev.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:12:19 -0500
Hey Gang,

I have always used Rust-Oleum (sp?) products with pleasing results.  It is
a good old fashioned oil based paint that takes forever to dry and seems to
last a long time.  I use it on the metal chassis and the floorboards too.
I just saturate the wood with the stuff, allowing it to run into and puddle
into the cracks and crevices around the floors.  I use automotive seam
sealer around the fender (wing) joints and around the bulkhead to frame
joints, then paint on the black goo.  I have heard some blabber on the Land
Rover list recently about one of the fancy products mentioned on our list,
and it was less than favourable.  It seems that that particular product
doesn't like really clean metal, it likes to stick to rusted surfaces, and
over a long haul where it didn't stick well it would crack and form a
pocket to collect the water.  I don't know.  Morgan and Land Rover both
used plain old enamel paint and it held up pretty well for a long time.
Considering the use most of our cars get, simple, good looking and
relatively cheap paint is the way I will continue to go.  Save your money
for the chrome wires!

Elton

Elton & Jane Wright
Roanoke, Virginia, USA          delicate@rev.net
1967 Morgan Plus Four Tourer    1954 Morris Minor
1973 Land Rover 109 Regular w/Pickup cab
196? Land Rover 88 Station Wagon