Re: Wheel studs and lug nuts

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel studs and lug nuts
From: John_Bigler@ingersoll-rand.com
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:49:28 -0500
Hi Joe,

Yes, the wheel studs have been metric for a long time, perhaps from the
30's or earlier.  When I put new lug nuts on my '48 Series I, I used a 14
mm tap to deepen the threads on the dome-ended lug nuts, so the nuts would
tighten against the 17 inch Easi-Clean wheels.

As to your comments about the order you received.  You probably need only
two lug nuts to anchor the spare wheel to the bracket on the rear deck.
And, couldn't you just have a machinist enlarge the central hole, perhaps
with a taper to match the hub extension?

Cheers,
John Bigler
'48 Sr I, '58 4/4 with Devin body, '59 Plus 4