SUV's, fog lights, safety, car names, January

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: SUV's, fog lights, safety, car names, January
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:30:12 -0600
For some reason, the latest transportation phenomenon (Cell-phone
chatting, SUV drivers) reminds me of an article from Road and Track
called "A Nice Morning Drive" as seen at:

http://www.hembrook.com/submit/misc/barchetta.html

The hero takes his MG out only to be hunted and bumped off the road by
a pair of idiots in MSV's (Modern Safety Vehicles) taking out their
frustrations.  My wife won't ride in the MGA on a freeway.  She feels
very exposed.  Obviously I haven't given her a copy of the above story
to read.

My eldest daughter is 15 and a constant although unenthusiastic
benefactor of my exerience and wisdom.  I always point out automotive
features that value status or style over function.  On that list are
huge subwoofers, spoilers, fake arc-light headlamps, and of course, fog
lights left on.  Since this is Minnesota, we tolerate roll-up windows
and heaters that work ;-)  The other night we were out in some real pea
soup and Lindsay, for some reason, kept pointing out all of the cars
with fog lights and how we should get a set for our car.  I think she
was kidding but I'm not sure.

Our cars are named the red car, the green car, the MGA, and that stupid
Jaguar.  Later this summer, Lindsay will turn 16 and we will probably
have to add to the fleet.  Hopefully we can add something that deserves
to be designated by something other than color.  I don't want anything
too special, however since it will have to be driven in the winter and
my heart wouldn't survive seeing a nice car slowly disolving.  So far
the interesting list includes a Ford Falcon Ranchero, An International
Scout 800 pickup, or a Jaguar XJS.  Really any old, small, interesting
pickup or station wagon would do.

Lindsay, obvioulsly, would prefer something a bit more modern.  A
compact pickup, a Jeep, or a Miata head her list.  Well at least she
isn't looking for a Civic with subwoofers, a huge spoiler, and
foglights.

For those of you in more temperate climes, I apologize for these long
posts.  Not much automotive to do up here in January.  I asked Nancy if
I could spread a tarp downstairs and bring in the Jag's fenders to keep
me busy.  She said that if I was looking for something to do, I could
clean the bathroom.  Come on, April.

Regards,
Bill

///