Re: ISBN Number

To: lmg@gomog.com, david@dvodden.plus.com
Subject: Re: ISBN Number
From: VCA11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:01:46 EST
     the steering box in the series 1 being assembled in my garage is
marginal at best.  there is no provision for adjustment and while usable it
is not really satisfactory.  there is the gemmer box used for replacements
but that is probably not a long term availability asince the factory was
using the knight rack on every car seen on a recent visit.  it would seem a
better long term solution is needed not so much for my problem but for other
mog owners and thinking long term.  the gemmer is expensive, heavy and not my
first choiie for a solution.  the problem is similar to the mg ta,b,c
steering which resorted to an aftermarket adjustable and not very
satisfactory fix called a tompkins kit.  the mg box is pretty much like the
mog box not so much in detail but concept.  there was an article appearing
some years ago about using a vw box as a substitute that did not generate
much enthusiasm because mg owners seem more purist than mog owners and the
changeover was more than a simple bolt on kit requiring welding and machining
skills.

i went to the local vw repair shop for older vehicles and took a look at what
the box and related pieces looked like and to make a preliminary decision of
whether to go forward.  i was encouraged and decided to accumulate the pieces
and try to fit them on the mog.  the box is small and light bolting to a 2
inch round bar with a clamp giving side to side strength and up and down
adjustment.  this requires a short piece of tubing welded to a flat plate
bolting to the frame front at an angle correcting the flared angle of the
cross tube assembly.  the vw pittman arm could be extended forward like the
mog and has 2 holes as the vw had seperate steering rods for each side.  best
of all the box is readily available new for about $125.  2 turns lock to
lock.  i did not check direction of arm movement as i was looking at pieces.
anyone been there or know anyone who has?
cassel adamson

///
///