Re: Morgan 4/4 (Race prep comarison)

To: "morgans@autox.team.net" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Morgan 4/4 (Race prep comarison)
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@mdmpe.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 20:20:03 -0800
In one of my conversations with Darryl Uprichard of Racetorations, he
has a full race TR-4 motor that produces 200 hp at 7500 RPM so that
gets pretty close to your comparison but the question would remain
regarding how much of that is permitted under the rules.  (this is NOT
to start a 4/4 vs Plus 4 thread!  There is little point in going there
for anyone.)

This reinforces the comment that a full-on race motor in either of the
4 cylinder models only begins to reach the bottom end of the Rover
engine performance envelope and theres a lot of room to grow with the
Rover.

Interesting side note:
A friend is building up an original Oldsmobile 215 block (identical to
the Buick 215 but with better performance heads and one extra head
bolt per cylinder) into a hot motor (4 Weber dual downdrafts) for his
Lotus 47 (first series Europa).  He wants to hunt Porsches.

lmg@gomog.com wrote:

[snipped and agreed]

> To match these figures a SS would have to be producing about 238 bhp or
> more than double the bhp AFTER the LawrenceTune's mods that won at
> LeMans.
>
> A 60s 4/4 has a better chance of making it to high power-to-weight
> numbers because of its extremely low weight..but here too we do want to
> keep it a Morgan. Even at 1456 pounds the standard 75 horsepower would
> have to be increased to 192 bhp (!) to match a mildly tuned early EFI
> Plus 8. It is impossible for a 4/4 or Plus 4 to beat that much more
> capacity especially if it is not restricted by emissions controls.
>
> This is not to say that all Plus 8s were originally powerhouses and they
> are  susceptible to power sapping problems that many owners never
> address and make them sluggish over time.
>
> I love all Morgans and enjoyed many 4/4s. They are light, reactive, full
> of fun and you feel like you are going like the wind. That's all that
> matters, isn't it?
>
> Lorne
> 1984 Plus 8 Vitesse EFI

a brace of Plus 4 4 seaters ('61 & '68)

"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer
(503) 292-1234, FAX: (503) 292-1105
email: mdmiles@mdmpe.com
http://www.mdmpe.com/

///