Dash wood

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Dash wood
From: Elton & Jane Wright <delicate@rev.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:49:30 -0500
Greetings All,

place where I could work on it for a very long while.  I started with the
stain of choice, an oil based stain.  I then began to layer on marine spar
varnish.  The problem that I had was that the dry time for the spar varnish
was so long that it acted like a dust magnet, but I wanted the long term
protection of the spar varnish.  I continued to layer it on for 5 or 6
coates, rubbing it smooth with a block and fine wet paper.  You must be
careful not to rub through the first coat into the wood.  If you do, let it
dry and rub some stain into the place, and start over.  If you are very
lucky it will blend in ok.  For my last two coats, I used a spray enamel.
The enamel is compatable with the varnish and when the enamel is rubbed
down with OOOO steel wool, it looks great.  If you want more shine, you can
buff it with ever finer polishing compounds until you reach the perfect
shine.  It works well, but it is a winter project to be expected to take a
few weeks to pull off with ultimate success.

Cheers,

Elton

Elton & Jane Wright
Roanoke, Virginia, USA          delicate@rev.net
1967 Morgan Plus Four Tourer    1954 Morris Minor
1973 Land Rover 109 Regular w/Pickup cab
1961 Land Rover 88 Station Wagon

///
///