VDCA @ VIR

To: deemi@juno.com, bonnie@vom.com, Bill.Dostmann@rmtinc.com,
Subject: VDCA @ VIR
From: DGreimel@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:53:04 EDT
Greetings:

Mother nature smiled upon the contestants at VIR last weekend.  After a very
cold Thursday night the sun came out and the temps were in the 70s & 80`s for
the rest of the weekend.
As usual with VDCA the event was well run,  things were on schedule and I
enjoyed working at tech and meeting new people.  Entries were up this year
but still only around 90 cars I believe so we had loads of track time.  I put
75 miles on the Morgan on Friday and another 60 on Saturday before a leaking
head gasket sidlined me.. I changed it Saturday night but to no avail.  Two
laps on Sunday morning and we were in the trailer and on the way home.
Further investigation has revealed that the new gasket was leaking in several
areas so it looks like a light head milling is in order.  The journey home on
Sunday was a "never again" deal.  The next time I will wait untill Monday.
Route 360 to Richmond was a breeze but I-95 was incredible.
Upon arrival at the track I spotted the McCombers who have raced their Morgan
4/4 since buying it new in 1962.  Gene is useing a rather unusual 1300cc
crossflow Ford on dual Webers and running in the small bore group.  The car
looked and ran great as usual and they had a nifty new enclosed trailer and a
new Durango to tow it with.
Hank Giffen was there but without a Morgan.  He brought his Lotus and Ryans
Elva Courier in stead.  A half dozen or so racers had come from far away
places like Wisconsin and Minnesota and a few were from Michigan and Ohio.  I
had a lot of fun with an MGA from Tenn. untill I told him he could do turn 10
flat out.  After that he was gone.  There really we not any cars that were
closely matched to mine in group 3.  Most were faster,  a few slower.
Happily the SVRA has classified me in Group 1F,  the slowest of the slow,
where I will have people to play with.  Today I received word that I will be
allowed in the Lola Cup for the Jefferson 500.  That race is usually reserved
for under 1300cc engines but last years lap times made my case.
Hopefully the head gasket will survive the enduro foamat.  It survived six
events last year without difficulty.  Now I know what it`s service life is,
right?
Hope to see more of you at Summit Point.
Cheers
Don Greimel
Yellow Morgan 4/4 #97

///