Re: Smiths Instruments

To: MICHAEL VIRR <virrmj@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Smiths Instruments
From: smanwell <smanwell@sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:56:09 -0400
Hi Mike,

I have been thinking of similar mods to my 4/4.  The present electric
temperature gauge reads 30C well after the thermostat opens (and the
radiator header tank is hot) and this same gauge gets erratic at high
temps.  Like the rest of my gauges, it is black-face, but should be
cream/magnolia.  The new Smiths magnolia-face gauge looks like it would
be just right.

Do you find that the new magnolia gauges are close in color to the
original cream Morgan gauges?

I called Nisonger to get more info on their new gauges and learned two
curious things:  1) They say either their "classic" or "racing"
tachometers will work with Pertronix distributor units.  (Does this mean
older electric tach's also work with Pertronix?  2) the voltage
stabilizer required upstream of a temp or fuel gauge can be used with
either pos. or neg. ground.  One thing to be aware of with gauges in
general is that different gauges require different stabilizers -- some
10V, some 12V, etc.

Also, I was surprised to find that Holden Vintage and Classic in
Bromyard, England sell the same line of gauges (apparently) for about
half the prices that Nisonger quoted.  (Maybe only relevant to those
that have time to wait for the shipment.)  Their catalog also lists
Kenlowe electric fans, which is another item on my wish list in the
battle against overheating.  For what it's worth the Holden catalog also
mentions a 3.50 GBP "installation kit" allowing use of their tachs on
pos. ground cars.

For the other gauges, I may buy a new Smiths magnolia tach, (present one
reads about twice what it should) but hope to have the original (now
black face) 3-way cluster refaced and rebuilt.  Also need to find a
speedometer close enough to original so it could be rebuilt to cream
face / Morgan spec.

--Steve Manwell
Melrose, MA
'57 4/4

MICHAEL VIRR wrote:

> I dont know if most Moggie owners are aware of it but Smiths instruments are
> being made new again by CAI Caerbont Automotive Instruments in Swansea, South
> Wales, Great Britain (Wales is definitely not in England).  They are
> represented over here by GB Instruments, Inc. in North Canton, Ohio Tel
> 888-545-9775 and have web page http://www.gbinstruments.com.

///
///