Morgan Plus 8 Fuel Injection issue

To: <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Morgan Plus 8 Fuel Injection issue
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:12:22 -0400
John, this is off Triumphs, but I'm trying to assist my
father and a friend in tracking down a solution to a
problem on his 1986 Morgan Plus 8.  I'm not sure if you
can be of help, but being on the other side of the pond
I thought you might at least have some ideas or who I
should contact regarding the issue.  So thanks in
advance for listening.

As I mentioned the car in question is a 1986 Morgan
Plus 8.  This engine w/fuel injection was never
officially brought into the US so there is really
little experience with fuel injection issues.  We are
looking for contacts in England, since the Rover 3500
ran this system, to be able to verify that what we
believe to be the issue is in fact the problem.  I'm
hoping that you may be able to suggest a source or
contact.

Here is the issue and possible diagnosis.  The engine
basically has two problems that are possibly/probably
connected: high idle which can't be brought down and a
low speed/load surge or miss (Air flow meter has been
adjusted).  The fuel injection system on this car uses
the flapper valve sensor and not the "hot wire" system.
At rpm's up to 2k or under low load conditions there is
this miss or surge.  At higher speeds or rpm's the
issue goes away.

My friend thinks the problem arises out of the cold
start air system/bypass not functioning properly.  This
is resulting in too much air being sent to the engine
since it still thinks the engine is cold.  This is
being contradicted since the temp sensor knows the
engine is hot and is thus leaning out the engine.  So
you've got a leaner running engine which is correct for
a warm engine, but the cold start bypass is still
sending too much air so the engine continues to run
lean.  This also explains why the engine idles high.

We would like to know what cars continued to use the
"flapper valve" system in the 86-87 range prior to the
introduction of the Sterling/Rover cars.  This should
allow us to figure out who we can contact in England to
verify the problem and obtain the proper parts to fix.

Thanks very much for your help.

Ashford Little
'70 Triumph TR6

///