Fixed tail pipe and hand brake

To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fixed tail pipe and hand brake
From: "Ross Jones" <rossjones@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 19:48:32 -0400
Thanks for all the advice from list members on repairing the tail
pipe/resonator that fell off my 1987 4/4 last month. I finally fixed it
tonight by sawing off the broken edge and adding a 24 inch 2 7/8 in. O.D.
galvanized pipe with a standard muffler clamp (had to saw three inches off
the end of the new pipe). Added a 6 in. chrome tip, it looks great, and cost
was under 10 bucks. Tossed the resonator out!

Also learned how to fix the hand brake myself, which never worked properly.
Had a heck of a time getting the cotter pins out of the two rods, and then
figuring out which way to turn the darn nuts. Had to cut the original pins
to get them out, then figured the proper direction to turn the nuts
(naturally I turned them the wrong way first time). The result  I now have
a solid parking brake that stops at two clicks tight, where previously it
took five clicks and did not hold for crap. I can finally take the little
steel wheel chocks I have been carrying around for two years out of my
toolbox!

Just turned 14,000 miles today, and get the car inspected this Monday. One
thing I have discovered since owning a Morgan - fix as much as you can
yourself  its more fun, and you learn something along the way. The hand
brake deal looks a lot like the clutch cable, something that will probably
need adjusted frequently. My last clutch cable adjustment has lasted for two
months.

Now the only thing left to do is work on the interior leather. Color is
light tan, and the sun is fading this terribly. I am using Connelly Hide
Food to treat the leather, but feel certain areas may require re-dying. The
upper left and right portions of the drivers seat are also losing their
shape, and look like there are dents in them from my body. Under the drivers
seat cushion, a strange type of webbing material also broke. I replaced it
with a piece of wood, which works fine. The original material looks like
strips from an old tire inner tube.

Thanks again for this list, I would be lost without it!

///
///