Re: Fixed tail pipe and hand brake

To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fixed tail pipe and hand brake
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 20:35:33 -0400
Good for you Ross!. Working on your Morgan can be rewarding as driving
it and that is a lot of reward.

> Had a heck of a time getting the cotter pins out of the two rods,
> and then figuring out which way to turn the darn nuts. Had to
> cut the original pins to get them out, then figured the proper
> direction to turn the nuts (naturally I turned them the wrong way
> first time).

Next time, simply adjust out the slack in the cable with the brake cable
adjuster at the rear axle. The access to the fittings at the lever is
very difficult.

> Now the only thing left to do is work on the interior leather.
> Color is light tan, and the sun is fading this terribly...but feel
> certain areas may require re-dying.

You will find leather dye matchers at the GoMoG site at
http://www.gomog.com/parts22.html in the "trim" section. Connolly also
will match your dye lot but they are slow and very expensive. They are
supposed to have their first web site sometime this year.

> The upper left and right portions of the drivers seat are also
> losing their shape, and look like there are dents in them from
> my body. Under the drivers seat cushion, a strange type of webbing
> material also broke. I replaced it with a piece of wood, which works
> fine. The original material looks like strips from an old tire inner
> tube.

The original webbing materiel you speak of is not from old tire inner
tube, it is from an Alpha Romeo. This webbing does not simply hold the
seat cushion in place. It continues (originally in a single piece) up
the back of the seat to hold the rear seat and its padding and cushion
in place also. If you catch the ripping seat cushion webbing in time you
can temporarily "patch" repair it by criss-crossing the torn webbing and
the bottom frame with some thing like lawn whipper-snipper cord until
you replace the webbing. If you don't use this or a like method to hold
the seat cushion and the remaining webbing together, the webbing
continues to rip up the BACK of the seat which is inaccessible without
removing the upholstery.

If you can contain the rip in this fashion, you can replace ONLY the
seat cushion webbing section when you get a new webbing by cutting it to
the seat section size and replacing that section (only if the rip has
not reached up in to back).

Good luck!

Lorne
http://www.gomog.com/emog/emog.html