Re: Amphicar

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Amphicar
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:29:08 -0500
Ross et al,

Of all the cars I sold, the only one that has gone up significantly was
an Amphicar.  I still have no clue why they are worth anything.  The
Herald engine is correct but I think the tranny was from some German
industrial equipment although it surely could have been made by Porsche.
 I have never seen a 356 with a power take off.

The car was truly evil to drive- high and aft center of gravity with
rear swing arms meant oversteer at the slightest instigation.  In the
water you sit so low that you worry about swamping.  I had to run the
bilge after every rain because a car that doesn't let water in doesn't
let it out either.  Because of this, they tend to rust below the water
line.

Have fun,
Bill

>>> "Ross Jones" <rossjones@earthlink.net> 08/22/01 04:08PM >>>
While not related to Morgan's, ... a red 1965 Amphicar.
... has a Triumph Herald engine, and supposedly can do
80 MPH on the highway and 10 knots in the water. The owner is selling
the car for $20,000, and it includes a
non-running Amphicar for spares.

///
///