1970 Plus 8 Radiator Fan

To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1970 Plus 8 Radiator Fan
From: "Werner Pels" <wernerpels@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 15:35:58 -0700
With warmer weather on the way, I've been doing various things to help my
car's perennial cooling problem. Since I installed it on the front of the
radiator about 30 years ago, I've always wondered whether changing it to the
back side would make a difference. I finally did so and, of course, reversed
the fan motor leads.
The fan now does a good job of pulling air through the radiator at idle, but
it behaves strangely when I accelerate. When I do, the fan speed (judging by
the noise) accelerates, too. When it goes fast enough that it sounds as though
it's going to disintegrate, it cuts back suddenly, then starts accelerating
again and the cycle repeats. If I watch the ammeter, the needle moves way up
into the plus zone as the fan accelerates, then falls back slightly minus when
the fan speed drops off - then up again as the cycle repeats.
At first I thought that the fan was being "driven" by wind coming through the
radiator, but that's not it. It does the same thing if I simply rev the motor
standing still.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Werner Pels