Re: 1970 Plus 8 Radiator Fan

To: "Werner Pels" <wernerpels@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: 1970 Plus 8 Radiator Fan
From: "Robin & Ron" <robinnron@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:14:17 -0400
Werner,

    Fair warning.  The following is all wild speculation and hand waving.  I
hope you get a response from someone with actual experience with the
problem.
    It is possible your problem is not the fan, but the voltage regulator,
and the timing with the fan change is coincidence.  However, it is also
possible that one of the fan leads is a ground that is connected to the fan
case and hence to frame ground on your car, and you now have reversed leads
so you've put in a near-short.   You may have done this already, but couple
of simple tests will be helpful: 1) Disconnect the fan entirely and check to
see if the problem does indeed disappear (also do this with all the other
electrics on to check with a load on).  2) Reconnect the fan with the leads
in the original configuration, running in the intended direction, long
enough to see if the problem is absent.  At least then you will know for
sure that the problem is due to the fan change.
     If you have an ohmmeter, you can check resistance from each
disconnected lead to ground.  If that seems OK (high resistance), it is
possible that the problem is aerodynamic.  Fan blade designs are often not
going to work very well in reverse.  Moreover, if it is trying to run in
reverse, with poor efficiency, with significant obstruction (the radiator)
too close to the suction side, I suppose it is possible that the blades get
into an aerodynamic stall and simply spin the air around with the blades
rather than passing it axially.  When that happens, it is doing very little
work and would speed up while the amperage would fall.  When the stall
suddenly breaks and air starts moving again, it would slow down and the
amperage would go up.  Note that if it is a voltage induced speed change,
the amperage would track the speed.  So there is another check.

Good luck,
Ron Kerans