Morgan +4 TR4 engine cylinder problem

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Morgan +4 TR4 engine cylinder problem
From: Craig Edmonds <cedmonds@dundee.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 03:18:16 -0500
  While trying to press out the last one of the three stuck pistons (
the engine came that way when I bought it ) in my '63 +4 Morgan, I
succeeded in shattering one cylinder liner. Despite supporting it all
the way around, it split right up the side!

( Have you ever noticed how the keys on the computer keyboard for "+4"
also spell "=$"  - I think it is no mere coincidence!!! )

  The other two pistons pressed out well enough, and the cylinder liners
were in fine condition once cleaned up. The reason they were stuck
turned out to be a wide band of caked varnish around the piston rings.
None of my large collection of solvents and oils even phases the stuff;
I had to scrape it off with a piece of hardwood, and it flaked off at that!

  Would any of you kindly advise me on where the best place to purchase
an individual cylinder liner instead of a complete set of four would be?

  My TR4 engine has the "H" size pistons, with the 86mm bore size
cylinders.

Regards,

           -Craig Edmonds
            '63 +4 =$