California Smog Law Bill

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: California Smog Law Bill
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:28:35 -0500
Don't know how much you all know about this, but I thought I'd pass it on.
I picked this up off the Spitfire list which got it from a Porche list.

John

-------

british-cars@autox.team.net
> [...]
>the air in the San Joaquin Valley.
>
>Thank you for contacting my office and sharing your thoughts on SB708. In
>January of this year, I was appointed Chairman of the Senate Select
>Committee on Air Quality in the Central Valley. To date, the committee has
>conducted four hearings and nine more are scheduled to be held this year.
>After all the hearings, a report to the legislature will be submitted
>detailing the committee's findings from the hearings.
>
>Why have I undertaken this initiative to clean up our air? Air pollutants
>in the San Joaquin Valley have gone up 17 percent in the last three years
>alone. According to the Los Angeles Times, air pollution is to blame for
>more deaths in the San Joaquin Valley in the last three years than car
>accidents and murders combined. The San Joaquin Valley has surpassed Los
>Angeles as the worst air basin in the state and the second worst in the
>country. The asthma rate for children in Fresno County is the highest in
>California - twice that of Los Angeles and triple the national average.
>Without swift and decisive intervention, this problem promises to escalate
>into a public health crisis, if it isn't already.

>air in the San Joaquin Valley. SB708 is one of those bills.
>Unfortunately,what much of the public does not understand is that SB708 is
>a work in progress, and amendments have been written since the original
>version was first circulated. Our bill has two important objectives. First
>and foremost, I want to get the worst gross polluters off the road, to
>mitigate ozone emissions into the air. Second, I am working hard to
>preserve and protect the rights of car owners who keep well-maintained
>older vehicles, many of them classic cars, as enacted in SB 42.
>
>SB708, with our most recent amendments, will require vehicles over 30
>years old which are driven 12,000 or more miles a year to get a smog
>check. Cars which are not used as a primary vehicle, driven on a dailty
>basis, should not fall under this definition. The collector car industry
>representatives we have worked with so far agree that this is a fair
>compromise which protects collectors and hobbyists, while cutting down on
>auto emissions.
>
>My staff and I have worked diligently on this issue. We have conducted
>more than 30 hours of meetings on the subject, returned hundreds of phone
>calls and collaborated with prominent people within the classic car
>industry - even Jay Leno himself. Steve Davis, one of the leaders of the
>initiative that became SB42, has worked closely with our office to craft
>SB708 in a way that protects the classic car hobbyist and targets only
>gross polluters. We are confident that the amended SB708 will prevent
>gross polluters from taking advantage of SB42 and undermining the purpose
>of the 30-year rolling exemption.
>
>I thank you for your input and your willingness to participate in our
>effotrs to clean the San Joaquin Valley air basin.

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org