Re: California Smog Law Bill

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: California Smog Law Bill
From: SDviewpnt@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 00:45:05 EST
Well,

In Arizona, we're required to pass emissions testing annually or bi-annually
depending on the vehicle.  My '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee is all time 4WD.  AZ
can't test 4WD vehicles at speed on the dyno, just at idle.

This SUV has a 5.2L V-8 with 108,535 miles on it.  Just tested this month...

Test Pollutant                              Final Reading
Idle Standard
Hydrocarbons (HC) in PPM                  27
  220

Carbon Monoxide (CO) in %                  0.18
  1.20

This Jeep passes every year by a ridiculous margin.  It's a waste of time and
my $18.50 to get it tested.  The CPUs in these vehicles are so good that most
cars of any reasonable vintage will pass.

I had an '83 Supra before this and we had a problem diagnosed as a bad CAT by
the dealership.  They couldn't replace it under warranty unless it failed
emissions.  They tried three times to get it to fail so that Toyota would pay
up.  Couldn't do it as each time they 'screwed it up' at the shop, by the
we'd drive to the testing station, the computer would overcome the
'adjustment.'  Finally, they sent a mechanic who drove the car into the
station, waited until there was no line, made his adjustments and immediately
got it tested.  It almost passed again!  I put nearly 130K on that car and it
never failed emissions otherwise, passing by a very wide margin.  Compare
that to my friend's with TR6s and MGBs who struggle every year.

Now, maybe we should talk about 18 wheelers...

Regards,
Steve Dreiseszun