Re: Battery

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Battery
From: "William G. Lamb, III" <lambroving@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:33:47 -0400
John & Tony,

The gel battery in a "modern" Morgan is very small
and packs a lot of cranking power in a very small
package. They are not a conventional size and the
posts are on the sides. They are a bitch to find, but
out of curiosity, I called Fuller at Cantab myself. He
has them in stock for ~ $230- and a trickle charger
~ $40- for this application. And NO, Optima does
not have a size which fits. If I lived in the U.K., I
would try to find a Hawker military grade which is
probably even more expensive, but which does not
require as much careful attention. Watch the posts
when you install a new one as they are fragile...

While you might be able to find a wheelchair battery
equivalent somewhere for a bit less, the time and
effort this would take seems hardly worth it for me.
In a $65,000 -70,000 car with already a very delicate
electrical balance between the battery, charging
system and engine management computer, I would
not advise trying to use an acid battery, even if one
could be found which would fit and had the proper
posts. I suggest Mike uses what we already know
works. BTW, do you know what a Morgan/SAGEM
EFi ECU costs?!!!

William