Re: New Member..probably an old question though part II

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Member..probably an old question though part II
From: "Chris Burdo" <cburdo@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:17:26 +0000
Thanks for all the replies,
   The configiration that all of you describe sounds correct.  The reason
though that I couldn't figure it out is that there are no holes in the
floorboards for the bolts to pass through.  They were purchased from
Bassetts way back 20+ years ago when I was playing in a sand box.   From
what my friend told me though, (He's owned it since 72'), is that these
floorboards have been installed in he car before it was dismantled for
restoration which seems impossible as the seats wouldn't have been held down
as best that I can see.  Nevertheless I now understand what I need to do to
get them to stay put.  Next question though, does this mean I actually need
two bolts/wingnuts per seat?  (I assume so as that is how many holes the
plates have and lets face it, it makes sense..of course having worked on
brit cars for some years I can also add in that what makes sense isn't what
always happens).  Also with the mounting plates..seeing two have holes a
little farther apart than the other two do I use one of each on each seat
which would leave the threaded bolt at an angle as it passes through the
floor?  (I note that two plates are a thinner gauge than the other two as
well giving me the impession that the thicker plates go on the bottom of the
car).

In regards to the rear seat..we will be keeping the rear seat although we
did debate it awhile ago. I will look into the history of the car and find
out what the story is on it for you.  Also I'll try to get a page up with
pictures of the car as it sits right now.  I'll get in touch with Nelson as
he's nearby and maybe wouldn't mind stopping by for a looksee..tried this
morning, no one home..:-/

One last question..receiving posts from the list I see that they come from
individuals verses the list itself.  I'm not given the option to accept
anyones post as "This is from a mailing list and I want to accept any from
this list.." .   I use Majordomo for my Jag lists without this problem and
also are given the option to accept all from the list. Anyone ever run into
this problem?

>Chris,
>
>>My friend and I are in the process of restoring a 63' +4,(with the useless
>>rear seat..;-)).
>
>Are you speaking of a 4 seater? If so,  I can help, I've owned a '61
>4seater for many years and spent 5 years rebuilding it. I'm only about 25
>miles from "The Rose City".
>My seats are held in place with 2 threaded rods, 2 nuts and 2 large fender
>washers under the floor, that pass through the floor and a 1" wide metal
>plate, lock washers and nuts to hold this assembly in place. The second
>plate goes on top of the seat frame, lock washers and 2 wing nuts to hold
>the seat in place.
>
>Adjustment is simple, loosen the wing nuts, move the seat to where you
>think it might be comfortable, get in and see if it works for you, when
>satisfied get out and tighten wing nuts.
>
>I can try to take pictures or make a field trip.
>Nelson
>The road goes on forever ...

Thanks again for your help,
Chris