Re: [Morgans] 1970 Plus 8 problem

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Morgans] 1970 Plus 8 problem
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:02:12 -0400
At 06:54 AM 6/4/2007 -0400, Robert Emory wrote:

>My 1970 Plus 8 starts and runs (and stops!) fine
>for about twenty to twenty five minutes.  Then
>the engine starts to run rough and within a minute
>or two comes to a complete stop.
>If I am prepared to wait about fifteen minutes it
>will again start and run fine for another twenty
>to twenty five minutes and then stall again.

Bob,

I haven't worked on a +8.  Is yours a gas or propaine powerd car?
Is it carbed or Fuel injection?  Do you have an electric fuel pump?

What is the temp like when this is happening?  What about
humidity?  My 84 Accord would get carb iceing on cold damp
days and act like that.

I guess I should start by asking has anything been done to the
car reciently?  If not, and this problem has just started, then
I think it is fuel and not electrical.  Since it doesn't just cut
off, like someone turned off the ignition switch, I'd start with
the assumption that it is fuel and not electrical in nature.

If you have a gas powered car, my thoughts would first go to
fuel supply.  You could have junk in your gas tank that after
getting stirred up cloogs the pick up.  Then when you sit for
20 minutes, it settles out.  Then start run, clog, die. and repeat.

Next could be a bad fuel pump.

Finally, if you have carbs, have you cleaned out the float bowl?
You could have junk in there clogging the fuel port which settles
out after you sit for a while.

Do you have fuel filter? When is the last time you changed it?

Some of the electrical possitilities are: Try replacing your coil.  How hot
is it when the car dies?  Have you changed it reciently?  Did you
use a ballasted coil or not?  Was the original coil ballasted?

Does your car have an ignition module? That could be over heating
and crapping out.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229