Re: [Morgans] 1970 Plus 8 problem

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Morgans] 1970 Plus 8 problem
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:38:36 -0400
At 03:11 PM 6/4/2007 -0400, Chas Wasser    wrote:

>My +8 is a 1977 so a bit different than Bob's 1970.
>
>But the symptoms that he describes are exactly like a bad ignition coil.
That is, the coil works fine until it gets fully up to temperature in the
engine bay and then begins to run rough.  Sometimes the coil shuts off
completely and the engine dies, other times it just misses badly.

>It could be fuel delivery or another ignition problem of course.  But it's
very easy to test a bad coil.  You put a known good one on in its place.
Do a test drive and see what happens.  Other problems are more elaborate to
diagnose.

Chas,

I've never had a coil fail like that, but I have heard of it happening quite
often.  That an old coil can fail when it get hot as you say.  So glad you
chimed in.

I also should have suggested Bob that he take someone with him on a rid, or
have a car chase him until the Morgan fails.  Then he can do some very
elementary trouble shooting.  Take a couple of tools with him: a phillips
screw head driver, and a can of start fluid, and possibly a bottle of water
and a rag.

When the car quits, he should  run the following test to determine if it's
fuel or electrical:

1. He should pull a spark plug wire from a spark plug, stick the phillips
head screwdriver in the plug wire.  Have his companion try and start the
car.  While the car is cranking, hold the shaft of the screwdriver about
1/8" away from a good metal ground (like the head, or a bolt) and see if
he has spark.  If so, it's not electrical.

2.  If no spark try wetting the rag and placing it on the coil to cool it
of.  Remove and repeat a few times.  Then try and start the car.  If it
starts, then it's probably the coil.

3. Spray some starting fluid into the carb. and try to start it.  If she
fires for a few seconds and dies, then the problem is fuel.

Bob, I hope this helps.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229