[Morgans] Morgan outting

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: [Morgans] Morgan outting
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:31:19 -0400
Morgan outting

Well about 4 weeks ago, I thought I had finally worked the bugs out
of my Morgan.  So I decided to take it out Sat. (10/11) night to a
Cruise in. I keep the Morgan at my dad's house about 20 miles from
my house.  About 5:30pm I my wife and youngest son to go with me,
in my xB.  Then my wife was going to follow me, and my son was going
to ride in the Morgan with me.

The Morgan fired right up and we headed out.  I got about 11 miles from
my dad, on a busy steet, without many turn offs, and she died.  I coasted
to next traffic light and stopped in the run lane.  Got out and checked
for spark.  Had it.  Went to get the tools about of the back of the xB
and realized that I'd put them in my dad's taurus a few days ago and
forgot to take them out.  So I tried to start the Morgan again, and
she fired right up.  Got about 1000' and she died again.  After a few
minutes she fired up and we got off the main street and headed into
a neighborhood, where she promptly died again.  This time in front of
a friend's appartment.  So I called him on my cell phone and told him to
grab some tools, especially a screwdriver. He said sure, he'd be there
in a few minutes.  So I kept working my way to the Curise in.  Just short
of another main street she died again.  Now she'd died about 7 times in
the last 2 1/2 miles.  My buddy finally found us, and had brought his
tool box.  I dropped the float bowl and found I had not fuel in it.

Lucikly I'd ordered a new fuel pump and a rebuild kit for my old one.  So
I told my wife and son to go back to our house (about 8 mi. away) and get
the box that had just arrived off the dining room table and being it back.

It's now about 7:30 and just starting to get dark.  By the time they get
back, is a little after 8pm and is dark.  With the help of several flashlights
I manage to replace the fuel pump on the car.  She fires right up and we make
it to the curise in just about as everyone was leaving.  I stood around and
talked to another friend of mine and left about 8:30.

The trip to my place was uneventful.  I kept the Morgan here for about 2 weeks
and drove it around quite a bit.  I'm finally getting my confidence back in
her.  Now the weather man is predicting rain so I decide I should take her
back to dad's and put her in the garage.  I head out there about 9am on Thur
morning (10/16).  As I'm approaching his drive way, she dies, after making the
20 mile drive with no problem.  I go to the shop and grab a screw driver, drop
the float bowl and there's no gas in the carb.  I take dad's puckup and head
up to the gas station and get about 4 gal. of gas.  The gas gauge was still
showing about 1/2 a tank.  Pour it into the tank, she fires right up.  I drive
her out to lunch, with the of the gang I used to work with, and she ran fine.
So I'd just run out of gas!  Apparently the float had stuck, because now, after
the 4 gal. of fuel, she's showing about 1/4 a tank.

The weather has turned a little cool and over cast, but I'll have to take her
out some more.

John
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229