Re: [oletrucks] I have a question.

To: "Thomas Johns" <tommymagic@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] I have a question.
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob, Margie, Nick & Andrea)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 01:51:45 GMT
On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:11:22 -0500, you wrote:

>It appears to me (in pictures and in my own experience that 1951 Chevy
>trucks (and perhaps other years as well) have a door lock on the exterior of
>the passenger door, but not on the driver side.  Is that correct?  And if
>so, why?

Two theories that have merit have been mentioned on this topic previously.
First, and the one that makes the most sense to me, is that once upon a time, it
was more common to get out on the passenger side.  Watch older movies and you'll
see this happen often.  The reason I have been told, is that when our trucks
were new, more streets were dirt (or mud) than paved, and this allowed you to
exit onto a sidewalk directly, instead of stepping into mud.

The second theory, mindful of the fact that in the old days you rarely felt the
need to lock out thieves, was that maybe it was a forerunner to a child
restraint device, ie. you could lock the door from the outside, and that would
prevent a child from accidently opening the door from the inside.

Rob