Re: [oletrucks] Small Block Distributor Question

To: rborder@fcxena.fc.hp.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Small Block Distributor Question
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:40:53 EST
In a message dated 99-02-17 11:48:40 EST, rborder@fcxena.fc.hp.com writes:

<< Hello Everyone-
   My 55 2nd has a 350 small-block, installed by the previous owner.  It's
 always run very strong wide open, but has hesitated, shook, and run really
 terrible at partial throttle.  I assumed it to be problems with the
 quadrajet (44 year old fuel tank, and no fuel filter when I got it) and so
 tore it off for a rebuild.  Confirming some of my suspicions, I found some
 humorously fabricated (home-made) parts in the carb, a few things (like
 float level) WAY out of adjustment, potential sources for a couple of vacuum
 leaks, and a couple of stripped threads which I repaired with small
 heli-coils.   So, I was hopeful that the carb rebuild would solve my
 problems.
   Bolted it back on, cranked it over and the truck fired to life almost
 immediately.  A test drive showed some improvements, but there was still a
 lot of rough running and partial throttle hesitation.  Played around quite a
 bit with the adjustments (mostly adjusting for max manifold vacuum at idle)-
 but there
 was a point beyond which improvement just didn't seem to be happening.
   Because the truck had always run so well at full throttle, I had assumed
 that the ignition was doing fine.  But while hooking the vacuum advance up,
 it occured to me that in addition to the secondary barrels of the carb
 opening up at full throttle, the timing was also changing because of the
 vacuum advance.  So, I loosened it (the distributor) up, and starting
 experimenting with it- I haven't found any timing marks, and so I'm only
 guessing at this point.  Sure enough, I could set the distributor so the
 hesitation was almost gone, response came on much sooner... but it idled
 like crap.
   The very best I could get, and where the truck is set now, is with the
 vacuum advance just disconnected.
   The motor has an Edlebrock Torquer intake manifold, tube headers, an
 Edlebrock air filter, and has almost certainly been cam'd.  I'm thinking
 that because of these changes, the intake manifold vacuum profile may be
 very different than whatever stock motor my distributor came off of.  So the
 vacuum advance curve could be all wrong??  Does this make sense?  I assume
 my distributor also has a (perhaps non-functioning) mechanical advance as
 well, but it probably is a weak advance, given that it counts on help from
 the vacuum advance too.
   I'm really tempted to just swap it out for a mechanical advance only unit
 (probably a Mallory Unilite: $150 from Summitt).  But before spending the
 cash I'd thought I'd bounce this stuff off of you experts out there and see
 if there's maybe something simpler I'm missing and need to check first.  I
 don't have much (well OK, any) experience with small-block chevy's.
   My theory right now is that the timing is getting advanced too far, too
 quickly.  At partial throttle, especially at low RPM's, the vacuum is
 advancing the ignition too far, causing detonation and rough running.  Open
 it all the way up, and the vacuum disappears from the manifold, the ignition
 retards, and all is well again.  Make sense?  Oh.. yes, I do have the vacuum
 advance hooked up to a port on the carb, upstream of the throttle plates.

 Ryan.

  I'd say one of your biggest problems comes from running the Torker, that
manifold will deliver a very low (at least 3or 4 in/HG lower) vacuum signal at
idle, that a stock, or a dual plane (Like a Preformer, Rpm Performer, Stealth,
etc.).  And since you're cammed, that'll lower the idle vacuum as well.

  The other thing, if it idles better with the vacuum advance disconnected, it
seems like you have the advance hooked up to intake manifold vacuum, not
ported vacuum.   Find a port on the carb that has no vacuum on it, until part
throttle.

  Mike