[oletrucks] Gas tank pick-up

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Gas tank pick-up
From: EEHodges@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:34:54 EST
First good news tonight:

I found that my ground strap was not making good contact - attachment bolt
would get HOT after cranking. Scraped a little paint off the frame and re-
attached. Starter worked MUCH better.

Then found that my fuel starvation problems were related to the tank. I put
the fuel line in a 2 gal container and the truck engine ran. The pick-up tube
in the tank (under bed tank on 48 3/4 ton) was clogged by the radiator shop
that boiled out and sealed the tank. I had known this when I re-installed the
tank and opened it up with a coat hanger. I'm now thinking either I don't have
it open enough or more likely that the boiling out process opened up some
holes in the pick-up tube and the pump is "sucking air." Anyway - I'm thinking
of plugging the normal fuel line connection hole and using the drain hole on
the bottom as the outlet - just getting a fitting to clear off the tank bottom
a little. Anyone done this? Alternately, does anyone know of a combination
sending unit/pick-up like later models (cars at least)? I'm hoping last resort
is new tank.

Other good news and reason I got so busy tonight - I'm getting the cab (plus
fenders, doors, interior trim...) back from the painter Saturday. PROGRESS is
great.

Last issue - I found a "weeping" coolant leak in the block about 4" under the
rear most intake port. I've seen posts about using JB weld for such - Good
idea? I have another engine coming but was planning that as a "back-up."

EEHodges@aol.com
Emory Hodges
48 Chevy 3/4 ton "Rack"