Re: [oletrucks] Tire and Wheel Sizes for a '49

To: TomGreer@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tire and Wheel Sizes for a '49
From: Brad Newman <bkn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:03:37 -0600
TomGreer@aol.com wrote:

> What was the stock tire size on the '49?
>
> Did the '49 delux cab have whitewalls?
>
> What was the stock / optional wheel colors?
>
> Where the "CHEVROLET" letters on the hubcaps painted?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom
> '49 delux (a week into it, and loving every minute)
> 1959

Tom
I also have a 49 (Deluxe), and have asked the same questions over the
past year. Here are some answers, according to the "Truck Data Book for
Chevrolet Salesmen" (1949 printing).

1. Trucks were delivered standard with 6.50-16 size tires (although it
looks like 15" was an option).
2. Whitewalls were not offered by the factory as an option. I have
talked with a bunch of folks on this, and the consensus seems to be that
if you wanted whitewalls, your dealer could install them if they had an
agreement with a local tire shop, or you could put them on yourself.
3. Wheels were body color on the deluxe cab trucks, and black on all
others.
4. The lettering on the chrome hubs were painted red in 49, but I cant
speak for the other years.

All of the above is for the 3100 series trucks.
Hope it helps
Brad
49 3100