Re: [oletrucks] shoulder belts

To: "Tim Lloyd" <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] shoulder belts
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:47:24 -0500
I watched a TV program about auto safety on the Discovery Channel not long
ago. There were some pretty frightening slow-motion photos from the '50s and
'60s of dummies being impaled on solid steering columns, skulls impacting
steering wheels and other gory stuff that the big 3 concealed from the
public until Nader and co.
made them clean up their act.  Made me think about making my ride a little
safer.

The inner cab sheet metal isn't strong enough to hold the upper belt
attachment. What you need to do is cut out a section of sheet metal, then
weld a piece of 1/4" steel with a captive nut to the door pillar.

I have been looking at the shoulder belts in late model Jeeps for my truck.
On the Jeep, they attach to the roll bar. Looks like they would be pretty
straightforward for a truck application.

Jack / Winter Park FL